terça-feira, 2 de março de 2010

Greer Garson- Personal Cotes


"I think that women can be a tremendous force in the world. If it were up to women there would always be peace... women don't want war. Squabbles maybe, but not war!"

"I've been offered nymphomaniacs, kleptomaniacs, pyromaniacs, homicidal maniacs and just plain maniacs."

"I dislike bullfights, political arguments, bouillabaisse, hamburgers-- they give me indigestion-- and horse-racing."

"I think the mirror should be tilted slightly upward when it's reflecting life-- toward the cheerful, the tender, the compassionate, the brave, the funny, the encouraging-- and not tilted down to the troubled vistas of conflict."

"It's my husband who does the doing, I just do the talking."

"In a way it's too bad I had to be a 'movie star,' because it didn't allow me to be the actress I wanted to be."

"Gracious is a word that has haunted me all my life. I abhor it. The only things I'm allergic to are the words 'gracious' and caraway. I would much rather be thought of as zesty, mischievous or serene, although I'm not at all serene, I'm afraid."

"You know an actress never quite finally gives up working but always hopes that the irresistible script will appear someday."

"Give a redhead an inch, and she'll take a mile and a half."

"Life is so exciting that one life seems hardly enough to live."

"The screen's main function, I believe, is to give the world beauty and romance, to make us forget our own troubles for a time and send us out of the theater with a lift of the heart."

"To this day, I still think Louis Mayer played Mrs. Miniver better than I did."

"When you can't wait for your ship to come in, you've got to row out to it."

"I was a star in London. I did not come to Hollywood to play supporting roles."

"People are always asking me what it was like during the golden years of Hollywood. That was in the 1920s and '30s-- which wasn't my period. My period, the '40s and '50s, is what I call the romantic years of Hollywood."

"Experiment-- don't be content to stay faithful to one safe color scheme. I do all my experimenting with scarves and try out all sorts of daring color combinations that way, before I venture out with a complete outfit."

"Only the very young who are trying to make their way, who are riding the crest of the first burst of ambition are allowed to be self-centered."

"It's rather mortifying that although I boast of being descended from Viking robbers and bold cattle rustlers, I'm a rotten sailor and terrified of cows!"

"I am very impatient by nature, quick-tempered, and high strung with a tendency to want things done at once, or not at all."

"I only have a few clothes, all of them quite simple."

"I find I like commotion better than emotion."

"One's life is a crossroads pointing in every direction."

"Time is too short. Not enough. I wanted to live a lot of lives at the same time. Only by being an actress could I do that."

"Playing a love scene requires a feeling of intimacy between man and woman and intense concentration. I don't like to look over the shoulder of a man and see the long gloomy sound stage behind the camera, cluttered with equipment and pieces of sets from past pictures."

"Say I'm dreary, say I'm sad. Say my acting doesn't please. Say my films are awfully bad. But don't knock my knees."

"All I know about getting something that you want is that there are three essential things: wanting, trying and getting the opportunity, the breaks. None works alone without the others. Wanting is basic. Trying is up to you. And the breaks - I do know this, they always happen."

"I decided once I was fortunate enough to get away from Hollywood, it would take wild horses to drag me back."

"Starting out to make money is the greatest mistake in life. Do what you feel you have a flair for doing, and if you are good enough at it, the money will come."

"I do wish I could tell you my age but it's impossible. It keeps changing all the time."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário